Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media
- Advertising and Marketing Communications | Animation | Digital | Film | Games | Photo Imaging | Radio | TV
The Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media in Wales offers you the opportunity to work in the industry while gaining a recognised qualification.
The apprenticeship covers roles in a range of industries including TV, radio, games, film, animation, digital and photo imaging.
As an apprentice you will gain real experience of the workplace, a broader understanding of the creative industries and finish your training ready to work and with a network of professional contacts.
Will I need any qualifications to get onto this apprenticeship?
You don't need to have any specific qualifications to do this apprenticeship. Previous qualifications in related subjects could give you a useful grounding.
Employers will expect you to be hard working, a good communicator, with the right attitude, and with a strong interest in the industry.
It will also help you to impress potential employers if you've done any unpaid or voluntary work in creative and digital media. This will show them how keen you are to work in the industry.
This is a level 3 qualification, which is equivalent to two A-Levels.
The apprenticeship has been written by industry professionals so that the training meets the needs of employers and gives you the skills, knowledge and experience you need to make a valuable contribution and to launch your career. The qualification is run by a training provider who will work with both you and your employer to tailor it to the needs of both you and the company.
What kind of jobs might I do?
Jobs covered by the Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media include:
- Production Runner/Assistant
- Providing production assistance in film and TV
- Post Production Runner
- Providing post production assistance in film and TV
- Broadcast Assistant
- Managing assets, logging, backing up data and liaising with the editor
- Archive Assistant
- Logging, cataloguing, shortlisting images into a database, adding metadata
- Animation Assistant
- Preparing 2D or 3D CGI or stop motion assets, preparing artwork as instructed, clean-up and breakdown
- Assistant to the Camera Crew
- Providing assistance to crew during a shoot
- Junior Researcher
- Conducting research for film, digital media, TV and photo imaging
- Web Co-ordinator
- Providing assistance for website administration
- Trainee/Assistant Photographer
- Taking photographs to specification in various settings
- Digital Assistant; Digital Design Assistant; Digital Media Assistant; Creative and Digital Content Assistant
- Obtaining/creating assets; creating 2D animations/designs; creating web content/blogs; maintaining and editing content; use of social media, optimisation techniques and analysis tools to support business growth
- Production Secretary
- Preparing and distributing schedules, cast lists and scripts, and co-ordinating travel and accommodation
- Radio Broadcast Assistant
- Providing vital support in the development and day-to-day production of local and national radio
- Production Trainee
- Working as team members on a series of programmes and websites across different host areas
- Edit Assistant
- Providing basic technical and practical support for Editors, Telecine Operators, Colourists and other senior personnel
- Camera Trainee
- Supporting the 2nd Assistant Camera
- Trainee Model Maker
- Basic tasks in mould making, casting, trimming & seaming (fettling), silver soldering, costume making
- Make-up and Hair Trainee
- Supporting the make-up and hair department
- Construction Department Worker
- Building, painting and plastering all the sets required for productions
- Costume Assistant
- Carrying out research into costumes; assisting with design; making, ordering and adapting the costumes and accessories required for productions; organising fittings, dressing performers and overseeing continuity
What's my next step?
Watch apprentices doing the Apprenticeship in Creative and Digital Media talk about their apprenticeships and how they're benefiting:
You can also download the apprenticeship framework below.