N/SVQs for Animal Trainers and Suppliers
For Animal Trainers and Suppliers, Lantra has developed several qualifications awarded by City & Guilds:
The NVQ/SNVQ in Animal Care at Level 1 is aimed at work experience and younger personnel.
The NVQ/SNVQ Animal Care at Level 2 has different pathways which aim at different roles such as Animal Handlers, Assistant Trainers and Animal Handler Trainees.
The NVQ/SNVQ Animal Care at Level 3 is aimed at Animal Trainers. Please find qualification structure below:
- Download Animal Care NVQ/SVQ Level 3 - Qualification Structure (PDF)
The NVQ/SNVQ Animal Care at Level 4 is aimed at Heads of Department (HoD) or Animal Consultants. Please find qualification structure below:
- Download Animal Care NVQ-SVQ Level 4 - Qualification Structure (PDF)
These qualifications were developed through consultation with industry practitioners and are based on the Animal Care National Occupational Standards.
For further details, it might be also of interest to have a look at the Key & Core Skills Signposting for Animal Care and Lantra's Assessment Strategy (all Word documents):
- Lantra Assessment Strategy - Animal Care
- Key Skills Signposting - Animal Care
- Core Skills Signposting - Animal Care
- Core Skills Numeracy Intermediate 1 - Animal Care
- Core Skills Problem Solving Intermediate 1 - Animal Care
- Core Skills Information Technology Intermediate 1 - Animal Care
- Core Skills Communication Intermediate 2 - Animal Care
- Core Skills Working With Others Intermediate 2 - Animal Care
- Core Skills Mapping for Modern Apprenticeships - Animal Care
To work towards an N/SVQ, learners must be in full-time or part-time employment or working as a freelancer in a role that will enable them to demonstrate the skills and knowledge that the N/SVQ covers.
They are assessed on the job as they demonstrate each of the competencies in the different units. They must also gather evidence to prove their performance, which may include witness statements from employers or external assessors confirming that they have demonstrated a particular skill or set of skills. This portfolio of evidence is submitted on completion of the NVQ.
Sparsholt College is the assessment centre offering these qualifications.