Vocational qualifications (VQs) offer a more practical learning programme that relates directly to specific job roles or specific industries.
These qualifications follow a course structure and have an emphasis on developing practical skills and knowledge. They tend to be classroom-based with assessment by written and practical examinations.
Creative Skillset works closely with awarding bodies to ensure that VQs are mapped against National Occupational Standards where possible and reflect current industry practices.
Vocational qualifications for the Creative Industries
Creative Skillset currently has NVQs in the following disciplines:
- Animal Trainers and Suppliers at Levels 1, 2, 3 and 4 (awarded by City & Guilds)
- Crane Technicians Level 2, Grips at Levels 2 and 3 (awarded by University of the Arts London)
- Lighting for Film and Television (awarded by University of the Arts London)
- SVQs/Diplomas in Photo Imaging (awarded by SQA/City & Guilds)
Creative Skillset's role in vocational qualifications
If you are an awarding body or an institution that is considering work on a new or redeveloped qualification, you need to work with Creative Skillset.
All vocational qualifications falling within the Creative Industries in Creative Skillset's footprint must receive support from Creative Skillset before Ofqual accreditation.
In most cases, this means the developing or submitting body should inform Creative Skillset as early in the process as possible, giving information on:
- Proposed qualification title and level
- Proposed credit value of constituent units
- Relationship with National Occupational Standards
- Planned accreditation and implementation dates
- Details on Diploma ASL pathways, age ranges etc.
If the qualification being produced is new (i.e. not a redevelopment of an existing, accredited title) then a rationale, based on industry need, must also be provided.
Get in touch
If you have any questions about qualifications support from Creative Skillset, please contact Lesley Lipscombe at firstname.lastname@example.org.