Film funding to provide training
The Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund is the largest fund in the UK dedicated to supporting film-specific training. The fund awards grants to organisations to create, deliver or facilitate film-specific training.
Open funding programmes
- Professional Development Grants (Exhibition) - investing up to £120,000 (up to £30,000 per strand) to help the film exhibition sector grow and succeed
- Production Bursaries - support eligible students from Ticked courses for the purposes of their final year graduation film
Recently closed funding programmes
- International - provide structured UK-based preparation events, mentoring, innovative online and interactive projects.
- Production Management - deliver training for priority skills and in-demand roles in production management, supporting high calibre new entrants from diverse backgrounds or provide training for existing professionals.
About the Film Skills Fund
Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund invests in the skills and training of the UK film industry to secure its growth and sustainability. We aim to strengthen and build skills and develop roles for the future, ensuring UK film remains world-class. The Film Skills Fund is backed by the British Film Institute (BFI) with the National Lottery through the Skills Investment Fund, a collective investment in the future of the UK’s Creative Industries.
The Film Skills Strategy
The UK Film Skills Strategy is a complete training and education strategy for the UK film industry.
It aims to address the industry's skills shortages exposed by Creative Skillset's research programme and through ongoing consultation with the film industry. The focus on skills development will enable the UK film industry to remain competitive in the global marketplace.
Creative Skillset works to support the growth of the UK film industry. We do this by investing in a programme of training, education and support for businesses, employees and freelancers, driving business and career development.
Creative Skillset is working with the film industry to:
- Create jobs
- Strengthen skills
- Build skills for the future
- Ensure world-class film education
We are focusing on:
- Craft and technical skills
- Production management
- Career and business support
- Digital content and audience choice
- Developing writers, producers and directors
We will do this through:
- Funding for training
- Apprenticeships, internships and traineeships
- High quality short courses and world-class film schools
- Online learning provision