Film funding to provide training
***The Film Skills Fund is currently closed for applications. See the latest training projects supported in our last funding round here, and sign up to our newsletter for updates.***
The Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund is the largest fund in the UK dedicated to supporting film-specific training. The fund awards grants to organisations to create, deliver or facilitate film-specific training, falling into 2 main sections:
- New Entrants – funding of up to £1.5 million to facilitate training in new and evolving film skills needs across the film value chain
- Professionals – funding of up to £2.5 million to support the development and upskilling of professionals in the UK Film industry.
Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund invests in the skills and training of the UK film industry to secure its growth and sustainability. We aim to strengthen and build skills and develop roles for the future, ensuring UK film remains world-class. The Film Skills Fund is backed by the British Film Institute (BFI) with the National Lottery through the Skills Investment Fund, a collective investment in the future of the UK’s Creative Industries.
The Film Skills Strategy
The UK Film Skills Strategy is a complete training and education strategy for the UK film industry. It aims to address the industry's skills shortages exposed by Creative Skillset's research programme and through ongoing consultation with the film industry. The focus on skills development will enable the UK film industry to remain competitive in the global marketplace.
Creative Skillset works to support the growth of the UK film industry. We do this by investing in a programme of training, education and support for businesses, employees and freelancers, driving business and career development.
Creative Skillset is working with the film industry to:
- Create jobs
- Strengthen skills
- Build skills for the future
- Ensure world-class film education
We are focusing on:
- Craft and technical skills
- Production management
- Career and business support
- Digital content and audience choice
- Developing writers, producers and directors
We will do this through:
- Funding for training
- Apprenticeships, internships and traineeships
- High quality short courses and world-class film schools
- Online learning provision