Film funding to provide training
The Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund is the largest fund in the UK dedicated to supporting film-specific training. The fund awards grants to organisations to create, deliver or facilitate film-specific training.
How to apply
Simply download and read the relevant programme document below to find out what training we are looking to support and how you can apply.
- Production Bursaries | Support eligible students from Ticked courses for the purposes of their final year graduation film
- International | Provide structured UK-based preparation events, mentoring, innovative online and interactive projects to support junior sales and distribution executives in their first European or International market.
- Environmental Sustainability | Supporting productions and production companies to adopt green practice and reduce carbon emissions. Ultimately aiding film businesses to reduce their energy consumption.
Recently closed funding programmes
- Professional Development Grants (Exhibition) - investing up to £120,000 (up to £30,000 per strand) to help the film exhibition sector grow and succeed
- Production Management - deliver training for priority skills and in-demand roles in production management, supporting high calibre new entrants from diverse backgrounds or provide training for existing professionals.
- Archive Heritage, CPD Training | Help junior, mid or senior-level participants within the archive sector or professionals from the wider film industry learn more about archive practice and principles
- Archive Heritage, New Entrants Training | Support and enhance the Creative Skillset Media Archive Traineeship programme
- VFX Careers Outreach | Promote relevant skills, subjects and opportunities relating to careers in VFX (and related industries, including games and animation) by disseminating materials and attending relevant fairs and/or after school clubs (particularly with a STEM/STEAM focus) across the UK
- VFX Tutor Bootcamps | Deliver training for accredited tutors working in VFX/computer animation higher education (HE) in the UK, with the ultimate aim of increasing the numbers of work-ready UK graduates
- VFX Tutor Bursaries | Attend priority training for tutors from relevant Creative Skillset Tick accredited courses (VFX, Animation, CGI) to support the future success of British film
About the Film Skills Fund
Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Fund invests in the skills and training of the UK film industry to secure its growth and sustainability. We aim to strengthen and build skills and develop roles for the future, ensuring UK film remains world-class. The Film Skills Fund is backed by the British Film Institute (BFI) with the National Lottery through the Skills Investment Fund, a collective investment in the future of the UK’s Creative Industries.
The Film Skills Strategy
The UK Film Skills Strategy is a complete training and education strategy for the UK film industry.
It aims to address the industry's skills shortages exposed by Creative Skillset's research programme and through ongoing consultation with the film industry. The focus on skills development will enable the UK film industry to remain competitive in the global marketplace.
Creative Skillset works to support the growth of the UK film industry. We do this by investing in a programme of training, education and support for businesses, employees and freelancers, driving business and career development.
Creative Skillset is working with the film industry to:
- Create jobs
- Strengthen skills
- Build skills for the future
- Ensure world-class film education
We are focusing on:
- Craft and technical skills
- Production management
- Career and business support
- Digital content and audience choice
- Developing writers, producers and directors
We will do this through:
- Funding for training
- Apprenticeships, internships and traineeships
- High quality short courses and world-class film schools
- Online learning provision