Film funding to provide training
Funding schemes currently open
The Film Skills Fund awards grants to organisations to create, deliver or facilitate film-specific training.
These are the funding schemes currently open to training organisations:
- Craft and Technical Professional Development Fund - to ensure the production workforce can effectively resource the current high levels of film activity
- Emerging Needs Fund - to facilitate training in new and evolving film skills needs across the film value chain
- Innovation Fund - to support the development and delivery of innovative new training initiatives and ideas for the film industry
- Exhibition Fund - to equip professionals with the knowledge and skills to develop a specialised programme of UK and international film which will attract a wide variety of new audiences to a deeper and richer range of film content
- VFX Careers Outreach Fund - to build on Creative Skillset’s previous successful slate of funded careers activities focusing early in the VFX talent pipeline
About the Film Skills Fund
The Creative Skillset Film Skills Fund is the largest fund in the UK dedicated to supporting film-specific training. It is funded by the National Lottery via the BFI and through the Skills Investment Funds, which comprise industry and government co-investment.
The fund was established to support the delivery of A Bigger Future - the UK Film Skills Strategy developed by the film industry, originally in partnership with the UK Film Council and Creative Skillset, now with the British Film Institute.
The Film Skills Strategy
The UK Film Skills Strategy is a complete training and education strategy for the UK film industry.
It aims to address the industry's skills shortages exposed by Creative Skillset's research programme and through on-going consultation with the film industry. The focus on skills development will enable the UK film industry to remain competitive in the global marketplace.
Creative Skillset works to support the growth of the UK film industry. We do this by investing in a programme of training, education and support for businesses, employees and freelancers, driving business and career development.
Creative Skillset is working with the film industry to:
- Create jobs
- Strengthen skills
- Build skills for the future
- Ensure world-class film education
We are focusing on:
- Craft and technical skills
- Production management
- Career and business support
- Digital content and audience choice
- Developing writers, producers and directors
We will do this through:
- Funding for training
- Apprenticeships, internships and traineeships
- High quality short courses and world-class film schools
- Online learning provision