Creative Skillset Series Producer Programme
The Series Producer Programme backed by industry and broadcasters – funded by the BBC, Channel 4 and Channel 5 through the Creative Skillset TV Skills Fund.
Why a Series Producer Programme?
Recent research has highlighted the stifling shortage of Series Producers (SPs) right across the country. Creative Skillset aims to help solve this serious skills gap. Finding the next generation of brilliant and diverse SPs will help the industry win new business and find the hit formats which will travel the world.
Making the step-up from Producer to Series Producer is a big leap. This programme will give you the knowledge, skills, and network to make that move with confidence. This programme will develop creative showrunners who will become the cornerstones of UK TV and maintain our reputation as the world’s best producers.
Interview with Donna Taberer
Twitter chat, 17 December
This unique and prestigious year-long programme will offer participants:
- Unrivalled training delivered by industry experts (approx. 12-14 days)
- Placements at broadcasters
- Mentoring by commissioners
- Continuous 1-2-1 support and career advice
- 'Money-can’t-buy' networking
It is open to new or aspiring SPs who are experienced producers with a minimum of three years’ experience at Producer/Director level in factual, features, specialist factual, factual entertainment and entertainment.
There isn’t a guide you can read to teach you how to be a great SP, often for most people making the step up, is about throwing yourself in at the deep end and learning to swim, fast. That’s why a course like this is so valuable and important.
David Brindley, Commissioning Editor at Channel 4. Credits include: The Tribe, Educating Cardiff and Muslim Drag Queens.
When does it start and how can I apply?
The scheme is open for applications from 27 November 2015 to 5 January 2016. We will also be holding open days to meet potential delegates and answer any questions. Delegates will be selected in January and the Programme will commence in February.
Applications are encouraged from under-represented groups particularly those from BAME (Black, Asian or minority Ethnic) backgrounds or those with a disability and from delegates right across the UK.
The aims of the Series Producer Programme
The programme will develop delegates’ skills in:
- Developing and producing hit innovative new cross-platform content
- Storytelling and scripting
- Building on people skills and increasing awareness of personal style and impact
- Engaging with new audiences, new technologies and new platforms
- Understanding and exploiting international opportunities; distribution and funding
- Promoting diversity in programme making and building diverse teams
- Setting a vision and leading creative teams with confidence to deliver that vision
- Maximising social media and digital to promote your brand
The programme will build delegates’ networks, particularly at channel level.
Your question may already have been answered in our list of FAQs. If you have any further questions or would like more information, please email TVSP@creativeskillset.org or contact Programme Manager Donna Taberer.