New industry-shadowing opportunities for freelancers
Creative Skillset, BBC Academy and RTS offer industry-shadowing opportunity for freelancers
Creative Skillset has announced the BBC Academy will be offering six new Creative Skillset-funded initiatives for freelancers in the UK Creative Industries. Aimed at addressing key industry skills shortages, these are:
- High End Craft Training - a series of 5 day studio courses for freelance craft practitioners in studio sound, studio lighting, studio cameracraft and vision mixing.
- Comedy Studio Craft Skills - a comprehensive training initiative, including an intensive 3 day studio course for studio craft freelancers wanting to specialise in studio Multi Camera comedy productions. The course will deliver high end craft skills in camera, directing, lighting and sound. The BBC Academy is partnering with Dock 10 in Media City to deliver this course. Dock 10 is also co-funding this initiative.
- The New Story - a series of different courses in storytelling delivered at various locations across the UK. The courses will increase storytelling confidence and abilities, offer a set of golden rules relevant to any genre, and how to put storytelling at the heart of the production. The courses include Introduction to Storytelling, Story Structuring for Factual Short Form, Story Structuring for Factual Long form, and Writing for TV. The Academy is partnering with DV Talent and the Indie Training Fund to help deliver these courses.
- Creative Pop-Ups - a one day course for Freelancers working in the creative industries or in creative roles across the UK. The course gives an understanding of how creativity works, different creative styles and ways to maximise creativity and creative collaboration as well as learning creative leadership methods to influence, persuade and inspire others to believe in artistic ideas.
- Factual Show runner live events - this is a unique and intensive four day course targeted at first time potential freelance series producers or day producers of live factual. It will also be suitable for those who come from observational documentary series or fixed format backgrounds and who have not worked on live output.
- Two-week shadowing development programme - offering experienced freelancers the chance to work in sought-after genres and departments across the industry. The BBC Academy will be working in partnership with the Royal Television Society to place 30 freelancers with broadcast and production teams across the UK. Individuals will receive a fixed bursary of £500.00 per week during their placement.
All of the initiatives will run over the next 6 months and funding is available for up to 90% of the course costs. To find out if you are eligible, for more about the courses and to register your interest, please contact us:
The BBC Academy's advisors are available to help from 09:00-17:00 (Mon-Fri).
Calling from the UK:
Tel: 0370 010 0264 Fax: 0370 010 0265
Tel: +441386 420 216 Fax: +441386 420 145
British Broadcasting Corporation
Room A16, BBC Wood Norton, Evesham,
Worcestershire WR11 4YB