Film Skills Investment Fund
Creative Skillset’s Film Skills Investment Fund (SIF) directly supports skills and training for the UK film industry. Administered, targeted and paid for by the industry since 1999, SIF has been a significant factor in keeping UK film production competitive in a rapidly changing world.
SIF is equally dedicated to supporting new entrants and experienced professionals. Contributions to the SIF from productions large and small have enabled the wider UK film industry to mobilise and provide vital access, education and skills training, responding quickly and accurately to the professional wants and departmental needs of the UK film production sector.
By contributing to the SIF, each UK film production is investing in the long-term sustainability of the industry and helping to create a more skilled, more diverse and better equipped workforce. Paying into the SIF demonstrates that productions recognise the challenges faced by a largely freelance crew and are willing to help tackle them.
In 2017/18 record SIF contributions of over £900,000 provided a critical platform for new learning, new opportunity, and ongoing career professional development in high-demand areas across the length & breadth of the UK film industry;
- 84% of SIF paying productions eligible for Trainee Finder took on trainees across multiple departments. This equated to 177 production placements and 1,434 weeks of ‘on-set’ training
- Trainee Finder had a record number of applications this year with more than 1,100 applications for 70 places. The selected candidates were 66% female, 60% from outside London and 20% black, asian and minority ethnic.
- 60% of approved film bursaries for upskilling were given to women working in film production.
- 73 bursaries were distributed across the nations and regions.
- Subsidised training courses included BECTU's modular Production Manager; Creative Media Skills’ Pro-Level Make Up FX & Prosthetics Essentials; GBCT’s Steadicam Operators Workshop (regional); NFTS’ Film Location Sound Recording; Talking Point’s Production Buying/Props Training; Moving Up to Film Production Accountant and Film Accounts Trainee Finder induction from Production Guild.