- Personality type:
- 3D computer animation
- Providing support to the VFX artists
- Ensuring the studio atmosphere remains positive
Is this role right for me?
For this role, you will need to:
- Work well under pressure whilst maintaining high standards
- Be well presented, tidy and efficient
- Have great communication skills
- Have a keen interest in VFX
- Be able to cope under pressure
- Be able to respond quickly and prioritise requests
What does a VFX Runner do?
A Runner in a VFX studio will find that a lot of their job relies on making sure the site itself remains operational and the atmosphere remains positive. Whether this is acting as a messenger between two departments, gathering resources for an artist or simply making a cup of tea, the Runner is an integral part of any studio.
The added benefit of working in a VFX studio is all of the knowledge and artistry involved. Budding VFX artists will find plenty of teachers and opportunities to impress while working as a runner, and can use it as a platform to move on to greater things.
Will I need a qualification?
While runners sometimes have a degree in a subject relevant to VFX, it is not a requirement to being one.
What’s the best route in?
Runners are an entry level position, and the best way to get a job as one is to apply. VFX Studios will be looking for ambitious people who are willing to learn and eventually progress up the company, so remaining confident in your interview is key. Placements can be anywhere from a few days to a few months, and it can pay to get experience in both small and large studios before deciding on your next move.
Where might the role take me?
Runners can end up almost anywhere within a company. Depending on your talents and interests, you can either move towards the administrative side of the company or the creative side.
Interested? Find out more…
For more information on job roles in the creative industries, take a look at Hiive's job roles.
- Art of VFX hosts news and interviews from within the VFX Industry
- Conrad Olson has a list of VFX Companies currently operated in the UK.
- FX Guide posts news and guides on VFX industry