BA (Hons) Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- University of South Wales
Which industry sectors are covered by this course?
Visual effects, design, animation, screen media.
For which creative roles and professions will this course equip me?
The practical elements of this course, combined with your creativity, will ensure you develop the skills to go far in the industry.
Graduates have gone on to work for a number of national television and post-production companies, and on projects including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Inception, Captain America, Iron Man 2 and The Chronicles of Narnia.
What is the student’s journey through this course?
Course learning consists of a balance between practice and theory, and is supplemented by visits from industry professionals, exhibitions and workshops.
- Contextual Studies: Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Visual Effects
- Image Acquisition Fundamentals
- Concept Development and Time Based Design
- Motion Graphic Design
- Audio Visual Techniques
- Motion Graphics and Visual Effects Projects
- Narrative Forms in Animation, Comics and Computer Games
- 3D Tracking
- Critical Studies: Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Professional and Critical Studies in Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Professional Design and Practice
- Motion Graphics 2
- CCI Work Experience
- Major Project: Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Critical Research: Animation
- Minor Project: Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Design Competitions: Visual Effects and Motion Graphics
- Design Management
What kind of ties does this course have with industry?
The course comprises a balance between practice and theory, and is supplemented by visits from industry professionals, exhibitions and workshops. You'll also have the opportunity to participate in national and international festivals and competitions, possibly overseas. These will help you develop a showreel of professional, broadcast-quality work to present to potential employers.
What are the facilities like for this course?
- A two-camera digital media studio and associated control room.
- A high definition multi-camera TV studio and associated control room.
- Final Cut Pro video editing facilities.
- Two dedicated computer labs, each with 20 iMacs running After Effects, Premier Pro, Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Maya, Nuke, Cinema 4D and PF Track.
- In addition to the studios above, each have full HD digital workflow and green screen facilities with associated lighting.
- A stock of Digital SLRs and video cameras including Canon 5D, 7D, 600D, 550D and Sony NEX700s with one ATMOS Samari digital recorder.
As part of the Atrium 2 developments, new facilities will include a fabrication workshop with traditional and digital kit, a model making workshop, a new life drawing studio and a ‘professional’ studio space for pitches, presentations and online conferencing. In addition there will be expanded and enhanced facilities for animation, games and VFX, including sound and editing.
Find out more