Product Owner, Creative Skillset Digital Services
- Thursday 21 December 2017
- Closing date:
- Monday 22 January 2018
Over the last eighteen months Creative Skillset has, under new leadership, reshaped the organisation and refocused our strategy on the screen industries - clarifying our purpose and value.
Our mission is to lead on skills and talent development, and we are committed to increasing inclusivity across the industry to achieve a world beating UK screen industries sector.
We have a new industry Chair and our Board and Advisory Councils comprise committed senior industry leaders from across the screen sector – film, television, visual effects, animation and games – representing large and small organisations across the UK.
Our digital services - Hiive and the Creative Skillset site - are fundamental to our renewed purpose and mission. They offer a unique combination of expert advice, courses, work opportunities and community support and we are committed to build on those strengths by radically reshaping our online presence.
Product Owner, Creative Skillset Digital Services, offers an exciting opportunity for someone entrepreneurial and user focused to own this ambition - and shape this new phase of development, specifically around the provision of a dynamic industry endorsed online careers service providing comprehensive and consistent information on job roles and career paths in the screen industries.
Hiive is a key platform within Creative Skillset’s wider careers and outreach strategy, which includes working with creative businesses, educational institutions (e.g. schools, Further Education, Higher Education), local and national partner agencies to create engagement, networking and learning opportunities for people to find out how to start or develop a career within the screen sector. The role will suit someone who is passionate about the screen industries, understands the power and significance of an effective digital platform to deliver to our users, and the importance of ensuring the service becomes sustainable
The Product Owner is responsible for the development and growth of the Hiive community and the Creative Skillset website.
Launched in 2015, Hiive is an international community of 120,000+ creatives and 4,000+ businesses working across the full spectrum of creative disciplines including Film, TV, Art & Design, Photography, Virtual Reality/Augmented Reality /Mixed Reality, Music, Performing Arts and much more! Hiive connects creatives with careers information, courses, jobs, competitions, and opportunities We are a not-for-profit, and our remit is to support our industries effectively.
This is a role with broad scope requiring collaboration with all the functions of the organisation. As Product Owner, you will be highly visible and will play an important leadership role within the Creative Skillset Management Team. As such, you will have the opportunity and responsibility to help monitor and shape the performance of the business, taking on critical challenges and contributing to the overall strategy and success. You will be the champion for your products internally and externally and will need to be comfortable engaging with customers, partners and internal teams.
- Lead the reshaping of our online presence by ensuring the products align with the organisation’s mission and goals.
- Manage the Hiive platform and Creative Skillset website, taking responsibility for their strategic direction, enhancement and financial performance.
- Provide a dynamic industry-endorsed online careers service delivering comprehensive and consistent information on job roles and career paths in the screen industries.
- Work collaboratively with the careers team to ensure Hiive supports and enhances Creative Skillset’s wider careers strategy.
- Define and develop Hiive’s communications and content strategy and plan, working closely with the Marcomms, film, and TV teams.
- Measure the success of activities to determine the most effective means of driving engagement and outcomes; evaluate data and insights for comprehensive strategy planning.
- Champion agile management and practices within the organisation and have a solid grasp on data analytics, strategy, and agile methodologies in order to deliver a high-quality product to increase growth.
- Establish timelines and product benchmarks.
- Develop a data and analytics roadmap.
- Consolidate data into user stories and necessary product requirements.
- Provide strategic input into the company’s business plan.
- Keep abreast of latest developments within the internet industry.
- Keep abreast on technical developments within our competitor set.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive. It is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
Essential skills and experience
- Bachelor’s (BA or BSc) in business, computer science, or related field; master’s preferred.
- Two years previous experience as a product owner, business analyst, or in a related field.
- Solid understanding of the product lifecycle.
- In-depth understanding of Agile methodologies, technical understanding of products, and up-to-date on industry standards and best practices.
- Proficient computer skills, Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Excel); working knowledge of software development.
- Comfortable working with multiple teams, in-house and remote.
- Ability to build strong interpersonal relationships with leadership, senior management, and internal and external stakeholders.
- Accurate and precise attention to detail.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills: This role will have you interacting with users, our industries, the Creative Skillset team and the wider creative community. You need to be thoughtful, passionate and tactful.
- Proactive and a self starter: We work in a very fast moving set of industries and there is a lot of autonomy with this role.
- Positive energy: You will be taking the reins of a platform that has grown to over 120,000 members in two-and-a-half years and it needs stimulation every single day.
- A can-do attitude: We are a very ambitious team; you should be able to multitask and prioritise projects.
- Adept with numbers: We’re looking for someone who is comfortable analysing data from our digital products, managing budgets or pricing products and services.
- Market Awareness: You should be a keen consumer of news and information. We need someone who knows what the competition is doing, what trends are occurring in digital and what market forces are in play within the creative industries and the wider economy.
- Purpose driven: You will be able to directly influence thousands of aspiring entrants wanting to join our industries, and those working in our industries to better understand job roles, courses and opportunities.
- Experience with running an editorial schedule, creating and distributing content.
- Experience in design tools.
- Operating experience in a start-up.
- An understanding of the UK Creative Industry landscape.
- Experience working within the Creative Industries.
- Exciting learning opportunities as a key member of our management team.
- A broad view of the digital industry with many concepts, a lot of pitches and real data points on how creative businesses perform.
- A great network across the Creative Industries.
- A community of 120,000+ talented creatives and 4,000+ creative businesses to tap into.
To discuss this opportunity further, or to apply please submit a CV and provide a cover letter of no more than 2 pages explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience is relevant. Please email: email@example.com
The application deadline is noon, Monday 22 January 2018.