Standards Development Manager
- Thursday 21 December 2017
- Closing date:
- Friday 2 February 2018
Over the last eighteen months, Creative Skillset has, under new leadership, reshaped the organisation and refocused our strategy on the screen industries - clarifying our purpose and value.
Our mission is to lead on building an inclusive skills and talent pool to achieve a world beating UK screen industries sector.
We have a new industry Chair and our Board and Advisory Councils comprise committed senior industry leaders from across the screen sector – film, television, visual effects, animation and games – representing large and small organisations across the UK.
The Standards Development Manager offers an exciting opportunity to influence and shape standards and vocational pathways during a period of transformation and growth e.g. the technical education reforms, the new Apprenticeship levy, and preparing our industries for a post Brexit world.
A crucial position, it will suit someone who is passionate about screen, understands the significance of standards and vocational skills development in a fast-moving sector, likes being hands on and enjoys working with influential colleagues across industry and government. This customer focused role will bring proven experience and technical knowledge of qualification frameworks, apprenticeship standards and the various pathways into work.
The Standards Development Manager will prioritise, lead, create and review standards and occupational frameworks to specification; ensuring they are relevant UK-wide and future facing. They will be the first point of contact for standards development and will work collaboratively and effectively with employers, industry bodies and relevant regulatory authorities to ensure industry requirements are understood and factored in.
- Prioritise, lead, shape, develop and maintain specifications and design solutions in response to industry demand, research information and intelligence.
- Manage and review projects, by involving key employers in all stages of project planning, delivery and evaluation.
- Ensure that Standards and Frameworks meet industry ambition, are compliant with regulatory criteria and delivered on time and on budget.
- Shape policy and regulatory developments by staying abreast of changes across the Institute of Apprenticeship, DfES, Whitehall and the devolved administrations.
- Work UK-wide to ensure standards are compliant with industry need and different policy contexts.
- Provide a key point of contact for industry partners, industry bodies and regulators.
- Attend internal and external meetings, events and industry panels, as required.
- Responsible for the writing of National Occupational Standards (NOS) and the facilitation of NOS development meetings.
- Quality assure NOS projects and outputs.
- Provide advice and support to other projects, as required.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive. It is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
Essential skills and experience
- Proactive ownership of, and strong track record in, Apprenticeships and/or Qualifications Development.
- Good overview and hands-on experience of developing national occupational standards in the four nations.
- Proven experience of planning and managing projects to time and on budget and in managing the input of subject matter experts.
- Successful track record of building relationships with employers and government.
- Ability to analyse detail and create robust, clear and usable frameworks.
- Experience or knowledge of the Screen Industries; and awareness of skills issues.
- Knowledge of current training and education policies.
- Experience of quality assurance.
- Proven negotiation and influencing skills.
- Creative, lateral thinking and solution focused.
- Excellent communication skills (both written and verbal), and the ability to communicate with a wide range of people.
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, with ability to work proactively with people at all levels.
- Excellent team player with the ability to quickly form good working relationships.
- Ability to work well under pressure in a methodical and organised manner.
- Excellent attention to detail.
To discuss this opportunity further, or to apply with a CV and cover letter of no more than two pages, explaining why you are interested in the role and how your experience is relevant, please email: email@example.com
The application deadline is Friday 2 February 2018.