Director of Vocational Skills
- Thursday 23 November 2017
- Closing date:
- Wednesday 20 December 2017
Application deadline 12 noon, Wednesday 20th December 2017.
Over the last eighteen months, Creative Skillset, has under new leadership reshaped the organisation and refocused our strategy on the screen industries - clarifying our purpose and value.
Our mission is to lead on building inclusive skills and talent to achieve a world beating UK screen industries sector.
We have a new industry Chair and our Board and Advisory Councils comprise committed senior industry leaders from across the screen sector – film, television, visual effects, animation and games – representing large and small organisations across the UK.
This is an exciting opportunity to influence and shape vocational skills during a period of opportunity, transformation and growth e.g. the technical education reforms, the new Apprenticeship levy, need for a step change in inclusivity and preparing for a post Brexit world.
The Director of Vocational Skills is a senior level position that will suit someone who is passionate about screen, understands the significance of vocational skills development, enjoys working with influential colleagues across industry and education and wants to play a pivotal role in delivering a high-impact vocational strategy and plan.
The Director of Vocational Skills is responsible for leading and managing the standards and accreditation team at Creative Skillset. This customer focused role will bring technical knowledge of vocational education and training, to achieve effective delivery of Creative Skillset’s products and services relating to qualification frameworks, apprenticeship standards and the various pathways into work.
A comprehensive understanding of the UK education and private training provider landscape is required, along with experience of product / service innovation including use of technology, knowledge of the screen industries, a proven track record as a deliverer, and significant budget accountability.
The post holder will build strong working relationships and partnerships internally and externally, working on strategy deliverables related but not limited to the Film and the High End TV skills investment plan.
- Developing and overseeing delivery of education and training products and services, such as qualification frameworks, skills passports and apprenticeship standards, and recognising the benefits of different vocational pathways into work such as NVQ and BTEC
- Developing and building an effective accreditation service across higher education, further education, apprenticeships and short courses
- Ensuring all training developed by Creative Skillset meets industry accreditation standards and expectations
- Supervising and reviewing in-depth framework analysis, creation and delivery
- Working with partners to design and commission specific programmes, in consultation with the Film and HETV team leads
- Establishing industry/education/training provider beneficial partnerships
- Building and ensuring stakeholder engagement
- Understanding and ensuring delivery within given funding rules, systems and contract compliance
- Monitoring vocational education and training market developments
- Maintaining current development and assessment knowledge
- Overseeing committees that provide technical and advisory assistance to programmes, including industry panels
- Tracking of outcomes and communicating top level evaluation of progress
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive. It is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
Essential skills and experience
- Comprehensive experience of accreditation, standards, qualification frameworks
- Strong understanding of the elements which contribute to excellent vocational education and training
- Collaborative team working approach across related internal departments
- Experience of managing senior relationships with employers, sector and professional/trade bodies and government
- Proactive, persuasive and solutions-focused with proven ability to build collaborative partnerships
- Solid experience of contributing to or leading a national programme
- Experience of working across the Further Education and Training Sector and with employers
- Experience of establishing and maintaining networks across the whole sector
- Excellent leadership and project management skills
- Excellent organisational skills and an ability to prioritise workload to tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good independent judgment
- Flexibility to work and travel off site / additional hours when required
To discuss this opportunity further, or to apply with a cover letter and CV, please email Michelle Care: email@example.com.
The application deadline is 12 noon, Wednesday 20th December 2017.