Director of Marketing and Communications
- Friday 10 November 2017
- Closing date:
- Wednesday 29 November 2017
Over the last eighteen months, Creative Skillset has, under new leadership, reshaped the organisation and refocused our strategy on the screen industries - clarifying our purpose and value.
Our mission is to lead on building inclusive skills and talent to achieve a world beating UK screen industries sector.
We have a new industry Chair and our Board and Advisory Councils comprise committed senior industry leaders from across the screen sector – film, television, visual effects, animation and games – representing large and small organisations across the UK.
This is an exciting opportunity to lead a rebranding and repositioning of the organisation as industry owned and led, during a period of re-set and change e.g. the merger with the Indie Training Fund (ITF) and a new ambitious screen skills delivery plan.
The Director of Communications and Marketing is a senior level position that will suit someone who is passionate about screen, understands the significance of skills and talent, enjoys working with influential colleagues across the industry, and wants to play a pivotal role in delivering a high-impact rejuvenated communications and marketing strategy and plan.
To create and deliver an ambitious and responsive communications strategy to relaunch and reposition Creative Skillset as the screen industry body for skills and talent. To achieve a significant step change in the quality and impact of our marketing and communications activity engaging the industry across screen – in particular with Film, High End TV, and non-scripted TV. To ensure that Creative Skillset has an effective, creative and joined-up approach to its communication and marketing functions including digital.
Lead the re launch of Creative Skillset with a proactive and industry facing comms and marketing strategy and plan.
- Provide a strong creative vision for all of Creative Skillset’s integrated strategic communications going forward.
- Shape, and lead the Marcomms team. Develop individuals’ skills and capabilities to enhance the team’s performance and delivery.
- Review and drive changes to achieve a top-class service from the marketing and communications team and its activities, ensuring that these are embedded and can be sustained long term.
- Provide Senior Management Team and Board members with advice on communications activities.
- Contribute to the strategic leadership and delivery of Creative Skillset’s overall objectives as a member of the management team.
- Build and manage key relationships with senior level industry colleagues across Film and TV, key influencers and the trade press.
- Lead the delivery of an effective integrated marketing plan to support Creative Skillset’s industry partnership programme objectives.
- Deliver the required Marketing and Communications activities of our High-end TV and Film Skills strategies.
- Oversee delivery of regular, sector-specific newsletters – including content tailored to Film, High-end TV and TV along with core Creative Skillset content.
- Ensure regional, and national impact through marcomms activities.
- Set the objectives for Creative Skillset’s online content, ensuring measurable maximisation of the benefits from Google analytic and Search Engine Optimisation (SEO).
- Manage marcomms budgets in coordination with department budget holders.
This job description is not intended to be either prescriptive or exhaustive. It is issued as a framework to outline the main areas of responsibility at the time of writing.
Essential skills and experience
- Impressive record of achievement in the field of communications, across channels including campaign, corporate communications/public affairs and media relations, gained at senior level preferably within the screen sector and an established network of relevant connections
- Experience of delivering a successful organisational re-branding and re-positioning campaign
- Demonstrable experience of shaping effective and creative communication strategies based on audience understanding and brand-positioning marketing techniques
- Experience of managing campaign delivery from in-house and third party creative resources along with experience of influencing and managing a wide range of industry relationships
- Experience of building and managing [or leveraging] cross-industry groups to amplify delivery of marcomms strategies
- A minimum of 5 years of experience at a Head of or Manager position
- Proven leadership and management skills
- Demonstrable excellent copy writing skills
- Previous experience of engaging audiences with digital technology
- Strong initiative with a proactive approach
- A passion for the creative industries
To discuss this opportunity further, or to apply with a cover letter and CV, please email Michelle Care.